Saturday 14 September 2013

Random Drops of Wooliness!

One of the highlights of the summer is our annual picnic with some friends we see just once a year.
We meet in a park around teatime, usually on the same bench, share news, play random games with a frisbee, laugh, watch the sun set and stay until the sky has become dusky and the bats are flapping!

This year was no exception and emboldened by my confident friends and family I did something I had been itching to do for ages! (Following many other brave woolly folk - including Zoe)

Firstly 6 woolly items were hooked!



Two of my butterflies


a random flat flower


and one with a hyperbolic vibe...



By now I was really in the swing, had not been following any patterns...just going with the flow...in the sunshine...I could feel more experiments germinating!


This spider is just a sphere with four strands of wool tied on 
(two on each side making eight legs in total)

and with 3 trebles into each stitch of a row of  20dcs...

 ....a curly caterpillar!


They were packed into a bag accompanying the picnic, and when we were all together in the park each of us picked out a woolly item and chose a location to drop or hang them!

 The spider, one butterfly and the wibbly wobbly flower were hung by our three friends on a strong oak (described by one of them as a tree of life)




The light was fading and the breeze blowing!

We attached ours to a willow..


So after a long time I have been brave enough to be part of a collective that decorated an open space  (whilst busting 22g!)
The best news is that another friend who regularly walks through the park has reported that the oak is still blooming with the flower and the oaken butterfly is still fluttering!

8 comments:

crazydazy said...

cant believe you have yarn bombed the local park....I really like the curly caterpillar. Ali

Kate said...

You yarnbombed the park! That is awesome!! What a great idea :-) Sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Blessings :-)

linda said...

What fun Ali, your flowers and little creatures look so cute hanging there. :)

Una said...

Lovely idea and you've started an annual tradition now.

Hilde said...

Sounds like a fun day, Ali, and I love your wooly creations :)

September Violets said...

You're funny Ali ... I'm glad your friends joined in the fun and didn't think you were bonkers ;) Wendy x

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

Hi Ali, I've been longing to do something like this for ages! How lovely to add your lovely crochet creations to the park's natural beauty...I may have to summon up the courage to join in! Liz xxx

Unknown said...

Oh My!! So proud that I have inspired you. Your creations are so lovely and the make your local park look beautiful! A HUGE well done! x