Sunday 30 March 2014

Hoopla!

I really admire Hesta's 1940s style floral brooches, not only does she make the most dainty colourful flowery bouquets but she also teaches others how to make their own. 
Over at Bodkin, her blog, she suggested that larger versions could be made using a hoop. This was great news as I have rather chunky fingers, and as she said it was fun to make your own I thought I'd have a try. 
As I prefer to crochet I began hooking tiny flowers, some from pattern books and others my own modifications.


This hoop is about 6inches across


 the daintier flowers arranged here!

The backside!

The next hoop is about 10inches across...


...with a loomed daisy in the mix!


Both were well received as Mothering Sunday gifts...

33g of stash busted on blooms!

Its amazing what you can find when focussing on individual colours. 
I was about to go and purchase some extra wool for stems, but as I furtled in my wool box look at the varigatedness of greens I already had!


I got carried away crocheting flowers...I now have a flower box that is bursting with blooms..
Jacqui has very generously sent me a couple of hoops reclaimed from charity shops...so these are the first of a few hoopy creations!


....my son knows me well...
recipe for a happy Mothering Sunday;
 handmade card, flowers, chocolate and a yummy jammy heart!

14 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

Glad that you had a good day! Your hoopy creations are very pretty and very effective! xx

Ana BC said...

LOVE, LOVE this idea, Ali. It is genius. My hands itch to make one too ;-)

Melody said...

Gorgeous crochet bouquet! I LOVE it!!! What a great idea!
I am amazed at what I find when I nose around here, instead of going off to buy more.... :)))
Hope your jammy heart was yummy!

Astri said...

What a clever crocheted bouquet!And that cookie looks delish! Happy Mother's Day, Ali!

linda said...

How lovely and so unusual Ali, I will have to try making one of these. Sounds like your mothers day was perfect. :)

Jacqui Galloway said...

What a beautiful floral woolly bouquet. Thanks for the mention. Glad you found the recipe for a Happy Mother's Day!
Jacqui xx

September Violets said...

These are so pretty Ali! What a great way to welcome spring on a front door ... a bit different from the usual springtime wreaths. Thanks for sharing! Good to know you also had a wonderful Mother's Day with your family :) Wendy x

crazydazy said...

must have missed this post..........glad you were looked after well on Mothering Sunday. I really love the floral hoops....inspirational .........I must have a go!

Taci simmons said...

So very cute ... I love how the flower bouquet stands in the hoop. So cute... So springy. Lovely!

Sum of their Stories said...

I love this hoop bouquet, it's so pretty(and that you let us see its backside!)
I've floated Mothers Day this year as it clashed with my son's birthday (can't share our special days) so I've still got mine to look forward to - hope I get something homemade too!

Unknown said...

Good Evening,I saw your hoop on Jaqui Galloway and popped over for a closer look,it's MARVELLOUS!!I have JUST learned to crochet,so would love to do a similar one!Am I allowed please?Kind Regards Pam.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

What a good idea , to make a bunch of flowers from crochet circles . Wish I could crochet

Zed said...

That's a really cool idea, looks great :)

Angela said...

These are wonderful Ali, I sepecially like the colour in the larger hoop