Monday 21 April 2014

Crazy Randomness 2

Time for the revelation of Crazy Randomness!
Inspired by Ali and John Foster's poem It's Spring....





As always, for a project, there were lots of plans and ideas in my head...
I experimented with some freeform shapes and new flowers 
(all of which popped up in blog posts!)
and the design was going to be lots of scrumbles and flowers.

However, I kept returning to the poem and its references to clothes...
it felt like I should be making something to wear!
So.. an Easter bonnet began to take shape in my mind.
As time went by, and needing to make a start, I seized a spare afternoon my basket of spring colours and a hook...
I wanted to experiment with spirals and different thickness of wools...
so I just went with the flow...the colours picked from the yarn bouquet as I went...
 including daffodil, primrose, crocus, snowdrop, blossom, green shoots and sunlight.


it does lay flat if smoothed out!



The pink flecked yarn is a beautifully soft charity shop find. The white baby soft acrylic that runs all through the design is left over from the baby blanket I knitted (yes..you did read that right) 8 years ago for the special person who had the rainbow chevron pencil case for her birthday!


 I thought about the embellishments I was going to add...the flowers, the surface design (with the embroidery thread Ali was so looking forward to seeing!).
I studied the shapes formed by the spiral and the natural undulations resulting from the different thicknesses of wool....




.....the forms reminded me of hills...heathery paths spiralling towards the summit...
hiking, as a teenager, to the top of Roseberry Topping to watch the sunrise on Easter Sunday....

so I decided to stop,
 not to over egg it,
keep it in its natural state, 
and leave the interpretation of scale open to the viewer...


 As is customary in my recent blog posts there is a backside view!


...which is necessary - as hidden in the beginning of the spiral is the start of  the poem...
a reminder of the dark winter garments


 I had great fun devising, choosing, experimenting and creating this piece of Crazy Randomness..
I'd like to thanks Ali  and everyone who has shared our excitement..
for the support, inspiration and motivation..
...and I thoroughly recommend the whole experience!
Ali has posted about her design here - I have avoided peeping so far! 

As many of my ideas tend to spread, morph and blossom I'm sure you will see references to this whole process again!

 Thanks Ali  - its been a frill!


....and as a stashbuster - a seasonal 29g busted!!

4 comments:

crazydazy said...

love it!, love the colours, the shape, the frilliness, the ideas behind it. It has been a frill, thank you so very much. Just one more thing........have you worn your Easter bonnet?

Unknown said...

How cute! I would wear something like that myself, was it big enough to fit me! ;) Amazing colours, as usual, and love the spiral pattern! :)

Jacqui Galloway said...

Loved your interpretation of the poem. Using your spiral freeform again and so topical.... an Easter Bonnet..... Frilling!!
Jacqui x

linda said...

It's lovely Ali, I love the colours and the frills and when you lie it flat it looks like a beautiful frilly mandala. :)